My current goal is to generate mountain ranges that are interesting and do not always end up in the middle of the land mass which seems to happen in many world generators I have seen. The mountains in the center of the land mass works nicely for islands but does not make much sense for continents. The results of this first experiment are not very good but I will describe the process anyways.
- Generate a voronoi diagram (A) based off of 32 randomly selected points.
- Make the voronoi diagram (A) “noisy”.
- Select all points that are on the border of a segment.
- Use the selected points to create another voronoi diagram (B) based where each cell has a value equal to the distance to the nearest border point.
- Generate 2 FBM noise patterns (C) and (D).
- Process voronoi diagram (B) as follows: add 1 to every value, exponentiate every value by 0.3, add (C), invert, normalize, max of (B) and 0.25, multiply by (D).
- Use the process in the previous post to generate a continent mask (E).
- Add (B) and (E) then multiply by (E)